America. A continent with 3 subdivisions (South, Center/Caribbean and North) or 2 continents (North and South) where Panama is part of North America?

I just came face to face with Wikipedia when consulting about America in English Wikipedia and Spanish Wikipedia, Questionable differences where the only thing that was made clear is that there are two different points of view derived from different educational systems.

• If I ask an English speaker about America, they tell me that they are two continents where Central America is a minor subregion of North America, which is equivalent to saying that Panama is part of North America.
  • If I ask a Spanish speaker about America, they tell me that it is a single continent subdivided into three regions where Panama is part of Central America.
    What is the correct concept of America as a continent?

Continents in OverPass

23 posts - 10 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/america-a-continent-with-3-subdivisions-south-center-caribbean-and-north-or-2-continents-north-and-south-where-panama-is-part-of-north-america/110849