Can I overlay Boundary-Line data onto OpenStreetMap and extract streetnames?

The Ordnance Survey produces map data for UK election areas ranging from parliamentary constituencies down to the local council electoral districts (which are where polling stations will be located). The data, known as Boundary-Line, is provided under the UK’s OpenData license making it freely downloadable for anyone to use. I would like to put this to good use by overlaying this information onto OpenStreetMap and then, if possible, extracting road names within particular electoral districts. Currently OpenStreetMap only has the boundaries of council areas marked but I want this finer granularity.

Begs two questions. Firstly is it possible to extract streetname within a bounded area in OpenStreetMap? If that is possible, either with an Export or use of some API, the second question becomes is it possible to overlay the Boundary-Line data on the map to provide the limits of that bounded area? If it cannot be done directly with OpenStreetMap might it be possible by using QGIS?

I search the forums here for anything similar but found nothing. Also looked for Boundary-Line which also had nothing.

Boundary-Line data is offered in these formats: Vector Tile, GeoPackage, ESRI Shapefile, GML and MapInfo TAB.

4 posts - 2 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/can-i-overlay-boundary-line-data-onto-openstreetmap-and-extract-streetnames/4673