Hello, I am proposing to import oil & gas wells in Florida, sourced from the Florida Department of Enviromental Protection.
This is the wiki page for my import:
This is the source dataset’s website:
FL Dept of Enviromental Protection
This is a file I have prepared which shows the data after it was translated to OSM schema:
I have checked that this data is compatible with the ODbL.
This data is created by the Florida government, so it is public domain.
The import consists of ~1000 nodes, which represent oil & gas wells in Florida. This size is very small, considering over 4,000,000 wells have been drilled in the US, and Florida is not especially known for it’s oil&gas industry. My own mapping is primarly related to the energy industry, so this is data which i’m intrested in.
- The data has a very high accuracy.
- The majority of the wells are abandoned (+plugged), but the holes still exist. Therefore, they are also included as abandoned:man_made=petroleum_well. Many wells are also only exploration wells, which never actually produced anything. This can lead to them having (nearly) identical start_date=* and end_date=* tags. While some of exploratory wells are from the late 1940s, some have surprisingly still overground traces such as vegetation changes (and obivously the boring holes). Also, every well has very detailed documents available online, such as this 1949 exploratory well. (last file is the most intresting one)
- The orginal data includes wells which were proposed, but never actually drilled. Those are not included in this import, obviously.
- The upload will be done using JOSM.
- The objects will be tagged with man_made=petroleum_well, operator=, depth= and some more, see the wiki page. The name=* tag can look cryptic (for example McDavid Lands #7-6), but that’s the actual name which is also required to be signed at every active well on the ground (image)
- Existing man_made=petroleum_well will be deleted.
Questions & comments are welcome.
3 posts - 2 participants
Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/florida-well-import-proposal/105164