How do I edit a local OSM map at 1:20000 scale and size 15x15 miles?
- I am trying to create a paper map of about 4’ x 4’ of a 15x15 mile area centered on Winston-Salem, NC. I have downloaded both planet.osm and north-carolina-latest.osm, and tried to open the osm file with JOSM, Merkaator, Potlatch, Inkscape and one other editor I don’t recall. All of them process for varying lengths of time (usually several hours) and then die.
- Once I have the desired area open in the editor I’d like to either (1) edit it by adding places of interest, etc., or exporting it to a vector format that I can import into Corel Draw.
- I am not trying to edit the online version(s) of the files. I just want a local file so I can print tiles and assemble the map “old school” with scissors and glue.
- I’d be happy with an interim step that further restricts the size of the OSM file, but can’t figure out how to “snip” a 15-mile square out of the OSM file.
- I’m running in a Windows environment with 32GB of RAM and 250GB free space on my hard drive. I would load up a Unix box if there were a unix-only tool.
Thanks in advance for any help.
6 posts - 4 participants
Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/how-do-i-edit-a-local-osm-map-at-1-20000-scale-and-size-15x15-miles/9473