Mapbox does not satisfy attribution requirements?

Mapbox is a service that provides map rendering SDK’s and maps based on OSM.

On small screens these maps don’t comply with the attribution requirements.

Licence/Attribution Guidelines - OpenStreetMap Foundation
Attribution must be presented to anyone who uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise exposed to the map or produced work. The attribution format should not require individuals to interact with the map or produced work to see the attribution.
[emphasis mine]

Mapbox handles small screens by collapsing the attribution into an (i) button that must be clicked to see the attribution. The way I read the guidelines this is not allowed.

Furthermore, if the attribution is collapsed, the Mapbox logo is still visible. I think this is a violation of the following guideline:

Other attribution, logos, or text must not create any false or misleading impression that OSM data is not from OSM. The text may appear at the same time as, or next to, other attributions.

These violations go further on their own website as there are some maps that completely lack attribution.

Can someone who has a better understanding of the license text verify that these are indeed violations of the license and contact Mapbox to resolve these on their site and in their SDK’s (so it gets fixed on all their customers sites as well).

3 posts - 3 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/mapbox-does-not-satisfy-attribution-requirements/108134