Mechanical edit Proposal to clean up street=*-tag

The tag street=* is used over 3500x despite being undocumented. According to addr:street=* it is a possible tagging mistake. Here is an overpass-query showing all elements with street=* and here is an overpass-query generating a corresponding table.

I did some analysis of the usage of street=*. The 3670x total uses are distributed as followes:

1. 2844x street=* is set but addr:street=* is not set.
  2. 206x street=* and addr:street=* are both set but have different values.
  3. 620x street=* and addr:street=* are both set and have the same value.
  4. 1784x use of street=* in this amenity=refugee_site in Jordan. Most of the time it is street=street_... or street=Al_....

For 1. most of the time street=* is probably a synonym for addr:street=* but as there is also street=yes (89x) I don’t think that this should be mechanically edited. For this I propose to create a MapRoulette-chalange for checking everything by hand.

For 2. manual checks are necessary to determine the situation and what to do. For this I propose to include it into the MapRoulette-chalange for checking everything by hand.

For 3. I see a chance of cleaning this up mechanically. I propose to remove street=* where addr:street=* stores the same value.

For 4. I already tried to reach out to the mappers but so far with no success.

What do you think about this plan? Could more cleanup be done mechanically? Should nothing be cleaned up mechanially? Should MapRoulette be used here?

16 posts - 8 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/mechanical-edit-proposal-to-clean-up-street-tag/107515