Following my presentation in State of the Map EU earlier this month, I am reaching out to the OSM community to propose the creation of a international working group to improve the integration of EuroVelo routes in OSM.
To give you a bit of background, I am working at ECF (European Cyclists’ Federation), in the EuroVelo Team, managing our EuroVelo route database, implementing the track updates that we receive from our national partners (they are responsible for developing the routes on the ground) and leading on the topics of route quality and gathering GIS data. So I have a good overview of the EuroVelo network as a whole and where the data comes from
What would be the aim of this working group?
The focus of the WG would be on making EuroVelo route integration on OSM more coherent and accurate. In particular, here is a non-exhaustive list of topics that could be discussed:
- See if the suggested tagging system on the EuroVelo wiki page makes sense and if we should add tags or extra details (maybe more explanation on the fact that EuroVelo routes are super-relations, or super-relations or super-relations, and how to extract such data?)
- Look where there are tagging issues for EuroVelo routes across OSM and correct them
- Decide what to do with undeveloped EuroVelo routes (should they not be mapped? Should they be mapped with a specific tag?) and make everything more consistent (at the moment, many undeveloped routes are mapped on OSM)
- Look for discrepancies between the official EuroVelo tracks and the itineraries marked on OSM, potentially using Knooppuntnet (knooppuntnet.be)
- Identify areas where there is few infrastructure data mapped and call for local OSM communities or propose challenges on MapRoulette to complete EuroVelo routes data
So this post is a call for anyone interested in joining this WG, and any ideas that you might have! Please answer this thread if you would like to contribute or to be kept in the loop
I also have a concrete question. For the next steps: I was thinking that an OSM mailing list might be the best way to get started. Do you agree or would anyone have another idea? And could you tell me how I can proceed to create such a mailing list? I was not able to find this information.
Thanks a lot and looking forward to reading your comments
27 posts - 7 participants
Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/proposal-creation-of-a-working-group-for-a-more-coherent-integration-of-eurovelo-routes-on-osm/106237