The World's biggest benches, according to OSM

It all started to simple, I thought I’d have a look at the biggest islands in OSM, but then I went down a bit of a rabbit hole.

The World's biggest islands, according to OSM (place=island) (click for more details)

Comparing the list with Wikipedia, it’s exactly the same. The exact area is a bit different - Wikipedia gives the area of Greenland as 2.166 million km² whereas Geodesk is giving me 2.00 million km². There are all sorts of possible reasons for this, I haven’t looked into it further. But it’s good enough for me, at least the order is the same.

I compared the top 100 islands in OSM with the top 100 islands in the world according to Wikipedia and I only found one missing in our data. It was mapped, but it was missing the place=island tag. That’s a quick fix.

The Python package I am using for printing units says the area of Greenland is 2 megametres². I suppose that’s technically not wrong. I might even start saying this!

Let’s look at something else.

The World's biggest historic ships, according to OSM (historic=ship) (click for more details)

That’s a bunch of big boats. The biggest an aircraft carrier the size of two Manhattan city blocks. That’s pretty cool.

The World's biggest flowerbeds, according to OSM (landuse=flowerbed) (click for more details)

The Sea of Flowers sounds rather more appealing than it looks in aerial imagery! Let’s give it the benefit of the doubt, the photo must have been taken in the winter.

The World's biggest car parks, according to OSM (amenity=parking) (click for more details)

Huh? Some big car parks (e.g. at an Audi factory in Mexico) and some objects that are definitely not car parks. I wonder if there’s an issue with the Arabic translation of the amenity=parking preset? Because a lot of these probably-not-car-parks are in Saudia Arabia.

The World's biggest buildings, according to OSM (building=*) (click for more details)

The World’s biggest building is a rectangle in the ocean, south west of Australia and four fifths the size of Belgium. Got it.

The World's biggest trees, according to OSM (natural=tree) (click for more details)

A common typo for natural=wood?

The World's biggest village greens, according to OSM (landuse=village_green) (click for more details)

The most surprising thing is that some of these have been around for 10 years or more and no one has noticed them!

The World's biggest benches, according to OSM (amenity=bench) (click for more details)

Anyone up for cleaning these up? How do we even get started? Are there validators with warnings like “that’s an unusual size for an object of this type”?

By the way, if anyone is interested in other tags, I’d be happy to run my script with them.

12 posts - 12 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/the-worlds-biggest-benches-according-to-osm/111251