Usage of less common German translations of city names

Several commercial products that I use, are using OSM as the base data for their maps. Some of them make an effort to display localized names on their maps. In my case, since I am German, they (probably) use “name:de” whenever it is available.
While it is of course very useful to see “Peking” on a map instead of “北京”, and “Kopenhagen” instead of “København” is at least nice, these are city names that are actually used in everyday colloquial German. In eastern and southern Europe, mainly Hungary, however, there seem to be lots of cities with German names that are rather unknown, at least to me and any friends I asked. These are, for example:

• Zengg (Senj, Croatia)
  • Sechshard (Szekszárd, Hungary)
  • Stuhlweißenburg (Székesfehérvár, Hungary)
  • Neustadt an der Donau (Dunaújváros, Hungary)
  • Lichtenwald (Sevnica, Slovenia)

These are just a few examples.

As far as I know these names may be correct, but they are, at the very least, very uncommon. Some of them have been changed in the past, for example Ljubljana used to be called “Laibach”. But it still seems that more and more of these uncommon names appear over time.

My question is: is there a conscious effort being made to translate city names into different languages, even if these names are not common knowledge? If so, how can these uncommonly used names be discerned from the more common translated names like “Peking” and “Kopenhagen”?
At the moment, it is very difficult, for example, to find Hungary on the German weather map of meteoblue, because the city names are so unfamiliar.

41 posts - 13 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/usage-of-less-common-german-translations-of-city-names/7840