Workflow ideas for editing Hiking (&other) relations

Hi all!

Last summer I was hiking the long distance path GR 1 in Spain (we are talking weeks of hiking here, no access to a computer, only mobile phone). I downloaded the GPX from Waymarkedtrails, for which I was very grateful. There were however some errors (not corresponding with the waymarks) in the GPX, so I took notes. Now I changed them in OSM but it was rather cumbersome. So I was wondering how other people do this, or what a good workflow would be.

For now I used 2 different methods:

1. While hiking I noted the points where the GPX was incorrect and created ‘notes’ for this in OSM, naming the ID’s of the correct paths. On the computer this was then relatively easy to correct, however it took me a lot of time to make the notes on my phone (I used Go Map!!) to do so.

2. I recorded every day and followed the waymarks. Where I didn’t, I made a personal note. Then I could upload all the days together in 1 gpx (400 km) in OSM as a trace. However, as I use iD to edit, I was unable to only view this trace, and thus was unable to edit anything. JOSM might help here.

So what do you think would be a good way to edit hiking relations in OSM? And how would you organise it while hiking?

5 posts - 4 participants

Read full topic

Ce sujet de discussion accompagne la publication sur https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/workflow-ideas-for-editing-hiking-other-relations/3222